Wednesday 20 February 2008

just a chicken...


So here's the sorry tale of the Valentine's chicken.
Feb 13 and husband Henry presents me with dead chicken, that has apparently been killed by someone's dog as they were walking past the farm.

Dog owner apparently admits what has happened, and says she will come round with money to replace bird. All this happens unbeknown to me, and husband Henry is in the middle of a conversation on his mobile at the time - so takes little notice and nods. (hmmm....)

I consider the dead bird carefully and decide that under the circumstances of free range campaigning, I should do the ethical thing and prepare it as food. It is, after all, as free range as a chicken can ever be. So I put aside the fact that she is 'Mrs Speckle' and focus on 'Coq au vin.'

I refer you to previous blog for the end results of that particular rustic culinary adventure.

Anyway, the days go by, and my somewhat philosophical approach is now turning to 'irritated and indignant', as there is no sign of the lady concerned. It's not so much a question of money to replace the chicken (between £20 - £40 depending on what type and breed) - it's more the dismissive message that is coming through of 'it's only a chicken...' and therefore it doesn't matter.

Well, Mrs Speckle was a pet, regarded with much affection by me and Natalie, our youngest, who takes a great interest in the poultry. Now the dog owner concerned does not know this, but that's the whole point, how can she know if she is simply not concerned...

No comments: